Newsletter August 2013: RVA Makes It Easier To Get Hired
Whether you want to find a job or start your own business, RichmondJobNet wants you to get ahead. There are many opportunities available for you and they're all free of cost, all you have to do is attend.
Meet Your Future Boss
Employers are making an effort to get out there and recruit you. Now make it to the events professionally dressed with your resume in hand and get hired! See below for this month's opportunities and visit our Career Calendar for future events.
Help On Starting Your Own Business
If you've ever thought about starting your own business, why not attend these free workshops? They might be the little push you need to get you started.
• "A Business Starts with a Plan"- A two hour workshop on developing a business plan by The City of Richmond.
• "Beginning a Unique Lodging Operation"- If you have property in Southern Virginia, come learn how to offer your farm as a weekend getaway, open your home as a bed and breakfast, or build cabins to rent to tourists.
Tips For The Mature Job Seeker
AOL Jobs Author Mark Lyden has worked with many mature job seekers and says he's heard it all. He believes there is great hope for you in finding a job and developed three great tips to present and market yourself better:
Tip 1: Take the dates off your resume
Tip 2: Adjust how you present your years of experience
Tip 3: Remember your objective
Make sure to click here for details on how to apply each tip to your resume.
Tips For The 20 Somethings
Jason Nazar, a Forbes contributor and successful entrepreneur, thinks that there are many things 20 somethings just don't get about the 'real world'. He's developed his own "20 Things 20-Year-Olds Don't Get" that will give you the necessary insight to stand out from your peers and maybe even get you promoted.
1. Time is not a limitless commodity
2. You're talented, but talent is overrated
3. We're more productive in the morning
4. Social media is not a career
5. Pick up the phone
6. Be the first in and last to leave
7. Don't wait to be told what to do
8. Take responsibility for your mistakes
9. You should be getting your butt kicked
10. A new job a year isn't a good thing
11. People matter more than perks
12. Map effort to your professional gain
13. Speak up, not out
14. You have to build your technical chops
15. Both the size and the quality of your network matter
16. You need at least 3 professional mentors
17. Pick an idol and act "as if"
18. Read more books, fewer tweets/text
19. Spend 25% less than you make
20. Your reputation is priceless, don't damage it
Click here for details on each tip.
Are You A Leader? Show It
Most companies are looking for leaders. You have to make sure your interviewer leaves the room with the impression that you are the leader they need. Here's five ways to do it.
Never Say No
When the interviewer asks you if you have questions, never say no. Here are six important questions to ask your interviewer.
Free Workshops To Get You On The Right Track
The Workforce Resource Centers offer free workshops to help you though every aspect of the job search. From preparing your resume, to mock interviews.
Click here to find one near you.
Featured Employer: Suntrust
Click here for over 12 pages of available positions with this bank's headquarters and branches.
Be A Good Friend And Share
If you know someone who could use this information click on the "Forward email" link at the bottom of this message to share. Or, let them know about RichmondJobNet on Twitter and Facebook where you can have job listings tweeted directly to you.
Why We Care
The Greater Richmond Partnership promotes the region to businesses all over the globe and works to encourage the retention and expansion of existing business. The Greater Richmond workforce represents a piece of what makes this region great and is often the number one consideration of businesses we work with. The community's ability to train, retain and recruit top talent is a key part of our region's success - past, present and future.
Your Friends at RichmondJobNet
Find career and networking events in the Richmond area and interact with Richmond's business community.
Register for updates
Get the latest on career events, how to conduct your job search, the latest information about employment in the Greater Richmond area and more!